Choosing water in plastic bottles, as well as buying different foods or beverages in plastic packaging, be sure to pay attention to the bottom of the bottle or carton. It is here that all the necessary information about the type of plastic from which the packaging is made. Some of the types of plastic can be safe, while others can harm your health. Plastic bottle label always contain a record of it from a type of plastic they are made. And this information is very important. In the end, any plastic bottle releases chemicals into the contents of varying degrees of risk.
Every bottle contains one of these symbols. But what does it all mean.
1. PET or PETE
This PET or disposable bottles. They can release into a liquid heavy metals and substances that affect the human hormonal balance. PET – the most commonly used type of plastic in the world. It is important to remember that it is intended for single use only. If you pour a bottle of their water, then get ready for the fact that your body can get some alkaline and too many bacteria that literally adore PET. PET or PETE is only intended for one time use.
PETE is commonly used to package:
- Household cleaners
- Soft drinks
- Salad dressings
- Peanut butter
2. HDP or HDPE is a very good plastic that does not emit virtually no pollutants. Experts recommend that, if possible, to buy water in such bottles. And security and to the environment is useful: almost all of this plastic is recycled. This is a hard type of plastic that is often used for the storage of milk, toys, detergents and in the production of a number of plastic bags.
HDPE is used in the manufacturing of toys, and the packaging of:
- Laundry detergent
- Milk jugs
- Folding chairs & tables
No known health concerns.
3. PVC or V Items of this material is isolated at least two hazardous chemicals. Both have a negative impact on your hormonal balance. It is a soft, flexible plastic that is normally used for the storage of vegetable oil and children’s toys. From it makes blister packaging for countless consumer goods. It is also used for covering computer cables. It is made of plastic tubes and parts for plumbing. PVC relatively immune to direct sunlight and weather, so often out of it still make window frames and garden hoses. Nevertheless it, experts recommend to refrain from buying it, if you can find an alternative.
Where is PVC found?
- Shower curtains
- Cling wrap
- Pool toys
- Inflatable structures
- Vinyl IV bags used in neo-natal intensive care
PVC can also be found in car interiors and vinyl flooring, resulting in the release of toxic chemicals into the air.
PVC is one of the toxic plastics that should be avoided.
- Purchase a shower curtain made from organic hemp, bamboo or PEVA. PEVA (polyethylene vinyl acetate) is a non-vinyl (PVC-free), chlorine-free, biodegradable plastic.
- Air out the car before getting in.
- Avoid using cling wrap made with PVC.
- Avoid inflatable structures, air mattresses, and toys made with PVC. Note: Aerobed pakmat and Aerobed Ecolite are PVC and phthalate free.
- Choose all baby toys, pool toys, and bath toys that are labeled to be PVC, Phthalate and BPA free.
4. LDPE This plastic is used in the manufacture of bottles, and in the manufacture of plastic bags. It does not release chemical substances in the water that stores. But if it is safe only for containers of water. Bags at the grocery store from it is better not to buy: you can eat not only bought, but also some very, very dangerous for your heart chemicals.
Where is LDPE found?
- Juice and milk cartons (as the water-proof inner and outer layer)
- Most plastic grocery bags
- Some packaging material
No known health concerns
5. PP This plastic is white or translucent colors. Used as packaging for yoghurt and syrups. Polypropylene is valued for its heat resistance. When it is heated, it does not melt. Relatively safe.
Where is Polypropylene found?
- Yogurt & margarine tubs
- Plastic cups & baby bottles
- Kitchenware, microwavable plastic containers and lids
Most PP are microwavable safe and dishwasher safe. NOTE: microwavable/dishwasher safe only means that the plastic will not warp when heated. It does not imply that it is a healthy practice. A better alternative is using glass containers to heat foods and to hand wash plastic instead of using the dishwasher.
6. PS is often used in the production of coffee cups and containers for fast food. Upon heating, however, it emits dangerous chemicals. Polystyrene – it is inexpensive, lightweight and strong enough kind of plastic, which, however, are not suitable for storing hot food and drinks.
Where is Polystyrene found?
Polystyrene is widely used in packaging materials and insulation. Some common items include:
- Disposable cutlery
- CD and DVD cases
- Egg cartons
- Foam cups & to-go foam packaging from restaurants.
According to the Foundation for Achievements in Science and Education fact sheet, long term exposure to small quantities of styrene can cause neurotoxic (fatigue, nervousness, difficulty sleeping), hematological (low platelet and hemoglobin values), cytogenetic (chromosomal and lymphatic abnormalities), and carcinogenic effects. Styrene is classified as a possible human carcinogen by the EPA and by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).
Ways to avoid Polystyrene:
- Package left over foods from a restaurant in your own glass or stainless steel containers.
- Avoid styrofoam cups or plates and instead use stainless steel, glass, or bamboo products.
- Bring your own silverware to fast-food restaurants instead of using their plastic ones.
7. PC or plastic without special characters It is the most dangerous type of plastic. It is used in the production of water bottles and food containers. Store in a container made of polycarbonate food or water, you should not: it highlights Bisphenol A – known substance that destroys your endocrine system. It inhibits the production of a hormone called estrogen. And another thing. Before you buy anything in any plastic packaging, think twice. Still, glass is much safer.
Polycarbonate is derived from BPA.
Where is Polycarbonate found?
- Electrical wiring
- CD/DVD cases
- Baby bottles
- 3 and 5 gallon reusable bottles
BPA has been found to be an endocrine disruptor. Choose bottles made with the #1, #2, #4, or #5 recycling codes.
And that’s what. Before you buy anything ANY plastic container, think twice. Glass, however, much safer.
Source — www.babygreenthumb.com